How to Register With The SSM in Malaysia
All companies, whether locally owned or foreign owned, must be registered with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) in order to legally operate in Malaysia. Businesses who register will be provided with an SSM registration number which is a unique identifier used for filing taxes and other legal documents.
How to Register
- Choose a Company Name: You company name must be approved by the SSM. It cannot be identical or similar to an already existing company name.
- Prepare Required Documents:
- A Memorandum and Articles of Association (MAA) which outline the structure and rules of your company
- Documents detailing the company directors, shareholders, and secretary
- Documents detailing the company’s registered office address
- Submit the Application: This can be done either online or through the SSM office. Online applications can be submitted through the SSM e-Info Services website. You will also need to pay any applicable fees. For those submitting in-person applications, required documents and fees must be submitted to the nearest SSM office.
- Obtain the SSM Registration Number: Once the application is approved, the SSM will assign a unique registration number to your company. This registration number must be used on all official documents and forms related your business.
Functions of the SSM Registration Number
- Legal Identification: The SSM number is used to verify the existence of your company.
- Filing Taxes: The Malaysian Inland Revenue Board (IRB) uses the SSM registration for tax purposes. It is required for filing corporate tax returns.
- Banking: The SSM number is often required by banks to open a corporate bank account or to apply for business loans.
- Contracts: It is sometimes required for the execution of contracts and other legal agreements.
- Government Licensing: The procurement of certain licenses and permits from various government agencies will require an SSM number.
Registering with the SSM is an important step when starting a business in Malaysia. The SSM registration number serves as a unique identifier for your business and is used for various purposes, including tax filing, banking, and government licensing. The steps for acquiring one are simple and once you have done so you can move forward and get your business started.